Wednesday, November 26, 2008

How I Reduced Plaque (Page 6)

Several years ago, I had a heart scan, after hearing that they were good for people over 50. I had an ultrasound screening a few years ago (carotid arteries, aorta, etc.), and the results were normal so I wasn’t expecting anything in the heart scan. I’ve never had heart symptoms, such as chest pain, arm pain, shortness of breath, etc.

When I got the scan results, I was surprised to find that there was some plaque in one artery. After some research, I found that scores under 400 are unlikely to have artery narrowing, and I was less then half of that score.

These scans show calcified plaque. I did some research and found a lot of controversy about calcium scans and scoring: their inability to show blockage or narrowing, their reproducibility and margin of error, as well as predictability for later heart events all created questions about the scan’s value (see page 4 and 5 of this blog for more detail on these scores).

These scans show "hard plaque" as opposed to fatty streaks or lipid "soft plaques." Research shows that hard plaque is more stable and less prone to rupture. It’s the softer plaque that can rupture more easily, causing a sudden clot. Still, I decided to see if working with supplements could help lower my cholesterol a bit more (My LDL ran in the low 100s few a years ago).

After the scan, I remembered that I was a smoker in my late teens and early 20s. I also had my share of burgers, fries, and fast food, not to mention all the butter and cheese I had as a kid—I’m from Wisconsin, the Dairy State! Plus, I did have borderline-high cholesterol in my 30s and 40s. I realized that this history is probably where the plaque began, and once plaque starts, it tends to keep growing unless you make changes to your lifestyle, which I did!

Although I had made some healthy changes since those early years, I still had artery plaque. After that first scan, I did lots more research and developed a plan. It was time to tackle this issue and work harder with my diet and supplements!

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is for education and is not intended as a substitute for the diagnosis, treatment or advice of a licensed professional.

© 2008-2010 by Steve/Beat Heart Disease