Monday, November 24, 2008

My “Second Life” Plan (Page 7)

If you’ve read the previous pages of this blog, you know that artery plaque (and heart disease) can creep into your life without symptoms, resulting in a heart attack. For too many, that happens suddenly, without warning.

Artery plaque develops over decades if we don't address it (we seem to wait too long because we lack early symptoms), and because many believe it’s not fully reversible, people can feel stuck with the risk. Patients are often put on drugs, but with no permanent reversal or cure in sight.

Now I realize we can manage or reverse artery plaque and what we call heart disease, and without super-strict eating or drugs, depending on your risk factors. Along with nutritional supplements, you can probably regress plaque and reset your aging clock.

So let’s work together on your Second Life, your next 45 years! Imagine a rebirth and a fresh start, like a reboot of your computer to clear the old memory and restart new ideas. My hope is to make this approach a part of our culture. Think of the 40th birthday as the new beginning, where looking forward to vitality and health into our 90s is the new normal!

My Meal Plan (supplements on pages 8-9):
Breakfast: I have a small omelette with egg substitute or low-cholesterol eggs, lightly sprinkled with shredded cheese (a few tablespoons for flavor). I top with some tomato sauce (for the lycopene), and add a few sesame crackers. On alternate days, I have honey-sweetened, natural granola with dried fruit, nuts, and cinnamon. I have a cup of coffee with a little half and half and I take 3-4 supplements.

These meals have low-saturated fat and refined carbs. They have proteins, vitamins and minerals. They are flavorful and satisfying, and you can prepare them the night before.

Lunch: Soup, with some added veggie slices, such as mushrooms, olives, or artichoke-heart pieces, and some pieces of lean protein, such as grilled, skinless chicken-breast.

The veggies have complex carbohydrates (to stabilize blood glucose), plus vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, etc. The mushrooms have special antioxidants to fight plaque. And for those who like meat, you can have some lean meat with this diet (such as fish and broiled or grilled skinless chicken). To finish, a few dark chocolate chips (bittersweet) as a healthy treat. Like breakfast, this meal is low in saturated fats and refined carbs. I take 3-4 supplements with lunch.

Afternoon snack: A small piece of salmon, some low-salt nuts (almonds and walnuts are best), and a few olives or other veggie snacks. I take a few more supplements.
The salmon is light, healthy protein, the nuts and olives have healthy oils. If you work in an office, the nuts are easy to carry and store, and you can buy some veggy sticks too.

Dinner: I have around 300-400 calories with lean protein (fish or chicken), veggies, and a small serving of carbs. Guess what? I cheat on dinner! I buy some healthy, frozen meals (without hydrogenated or trans fats), remove about 1/3 to 1/2 the carbs (rice or pasta), then add in veggies (grilled mushrooms, olives, whatever I have around). I aim for about 1/4 protein and fat, 1/4 carbs, and 1/2 veggies. I finish with a few dark chocolate (bittersweet) chips—a nice treat!

Like lunch, dinner is a good balance of lean protein, veggies, and a small portion of carbs. I know some people aren’t into veggies very much, but there are lots to choose from and you can steam, grill, oven roast, etc.

Try this site and see if there are several that you like—I bet you have some favorites, such as corn, carrots, or peas. Maybe some meaty mushrooms? There is a complete list on the bottom—they are links with more info about each one:
http://www.everynutrient.com/vegetable-nutrition-facts.html

As an interesting note, there have been mice studies where one group was fed a diet of freeze-dried veggies: broccoli, green beans, corn, peas, and carrots. Their artery plaque was about 35% less in 4 months compared to the mice on a regular diet. So veggies really can make a difference!
Evening snack: a small amount of lean protein or a few low-salt nuts, maybe a slice of Swiss cheese, after I walk.

I’m a "grazer," with smaller meals/snacks during the day. I also drink 2 to 3 cups of green or white tea (white tea is actually a less processed version of green tea) daily. I also add curry or tumeric to many dishes, along with herbs and ground pepper or pepper flakes, for some zip! I boost flavor without more salt. I'll cover my basic "Second Life" supplements on page 8.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is for educational use and is not intended as a substitute for the diagnosis or treatment of a licensed professional.

©2008-2010 by Steve/Beat Heart Disease